Business Development Training
Friedman & Partners offers the following business development workshops aimed at principals, project managers and other technical professionals:
“Business Development: How to Succeed in the New Economy”
One of the biggest challenges A/E/C firms face is maximizing returns from business development (BD) initiatives. Given the challenging economic landscape and fierce competition, it’s imperative that firms engage as many staff as possible in BD. But to successfully develop a BD culture, a number of misperceptions need to be debunked. There is no “one-size-fits-all” BD mold—a fundamental concept that’s the foundation to this interactive workshop. We will address the BD "holy grail": how to drive behavior to achieve a true BD culture using strategies such as education/training; establishing a culture of top-down accountability; tracking/reporting metrics; and incentivization/recognition. Learning objectives for this workshop include:
- Participants will explore 5 myths about business development and debunk these myths with the help of industry anecdotes and case studies.
- Participants will identify 10 ways in which they can contribute to the business development process in a manner that is commensurate with their BD acumen, interest, and career juncture.
- Participants will be able to define business development return-on-investment (ROI) and 5 metrics by which ROI can be measured.
“The Death of ‘Old School’ Business Development: What Your Future Leaders Need to Know”
Now, more than ever, the importance of institutionalizing a firm-wide business development is paramount to the long-term success of your design firm. Relying on a few key rainmakers puts your firm at risk. Further, the inability to tap and develop future business development leaders all too often results in departure of key talent—to other firms and other industries. This workshop addresses the following topics and others:
- We’ve Come a Long Way: the Evolution of Business Development in the A/E Industry
- Why Build a Top-Down Business Development Culture?
- Identification of Key Business Development Talent
- Cultivation of Business Development Acumen, Skills, and Success Stories
“10 Keys to Institutionalizing a Business Development Culture”
Inculcating a strong business development (BD) culture in your firm makes great business sense- it can prove to be an important differentiator and can influence the firm's project delivery, hiring and recruiting, and career development processes. However, how should firm leaders undertake this challenge? Moreover, how can staff contribute to the BD process in a way that's consistent with their BD acumen and interests? Through industry anecdotes and case studies, workshop participants will be able to help shape a BD culture unique to their firm's vision and target markets. In this workshop, we address these topics and others:
- The importance of a strategic plan, as well as a marketing/BD plan
- Strategies for how marketing/BD professionals can enlist the support of their own internal clients
- How to demystify BD and several misperceptions that need to be debunked
- The economics behind inculcating a strong BD culture
- The vital role of training and coaching
- How to carve out contributions for everyone
- Institutionalizing BD into the project delivery process
- Potential organizational impediments to avoid
- Strategies for establishing accountability
- The importance of recognizing and rewarding results
“Maximizing Your Business Development Return-on-Investment”
Many A/E/C and environmental consulting firm professionals are overwhelmed at the thought of having to conduct business development on top of project responsibilities, staff mentoring and other key functions. In this interactive workshop, participants will learn which business development strategies and tactics yield the biggest “bang for the buck” so that the time one invests in business development will have the biggest payoff. Through industry anecdotes, lessons learned, case studies, and breakout exercises, we address these topics and others:
- The distinction between marketing and business development and how they work in synergy
- How to strengthen relationships with existing clients and how to probe for unmet needs
- How PMs can use market research to become more effective at business development
- Strategies for closing the sale
- Strategies for maximizing one’s efficiency when conducting business development
Following the delivery of these workshops, we are often asked to provide targeted business development coaching and consulting to a select group of workshop participants.
“The Power of ‘We’: Engaging Technical Professionals in Business Development”
One of the biggest challenges that A/E/C firms face is how best to involve PMs and project architects/engineers in business development. The value of doing so is irrefutable. But being successful requires careful thought, planning, and in many cases, training. Through industry anecdotes, lessons learned, case studies, and breakout exercises, the topics we address include:
- The psychology of business development
- Avenues for getting technical staff involved in marketing/business development
- How to incorporate marketing/business development into day-to-day project management
- Specific strategies and tools for lead identification and conversion